Monday 11 May 2009

I've calmed down a bit - but still a scam

As of this moment, I've calmed down a bit regarding the car insurance scam Marks & Spencer have going. I've surfed the web and found a few sites.

Some people actually think tacit renewal is an excellent idea! It probably is to them, like direct debit, it helps you to remain up to date with payments. However, unlike direct debit, you don't have as much of the law behind you. The real problem is that in car insurance, you may find you are not correctly insured.

Car insurance companies insist on YOU giving them correct information, but after 12 months they renew, are your details exactly the same as 12 months ago?  have you changed jobs, husband/wife, street, less mileage?  Here's a section of my complaint letter. 

"I have quickly checked and agree that tacit renewal is specifically allowed for in the FSA's Insurance Conduct of Business. However, I believe you may not have acted correctly as you have not confirmed any changes to my insurance circumstances before my policy was due to be renewed. This may/would have left me in a falsely insured state."

Another thing, the quote they give me was over £100 more then my new car insurer. This was the reason to leave Marks & Spencer Money in the first place. If you automatic renewal your insurance, isn't to the benefit of the insurer that he charges you higher quotes knowing you are unlikely to change.

So, tacit renewal, in my viewpoint is a scam. If it should be used, you should implicitly OPT-IN, rather then out-out. You will never find a bargain and you will pay over the odds for it.

Lets see what happens to my re-imburstment....I've plenty of time for complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment