Monday 12 October 2009

Throw it in the Binsey!

OK, so Mountainmanjunior beat me to the "Great Cockup" title race...drat! Congratulations on the 100th Wainwright, by the way. 

We parked the car at Over Water, a small tarn or lake in the Northern Lake District. For some reason, there was hundreds of geese in the same field as the sheep...A flock of woolly geese? Anyhow we set off and down the road, through a very small village and onto Junior's 100th Wainwright, appropriately called "Great Cockup".


The weather started off a bit "dreach" but improved in the that the sun came out later in morning.  


As you can see bright sun and grass blindness was the order of the day after the rain clouds blow away to God knows where!


This picture represents the sadness of a Wainwright bagger, alone on a grassy hill. This is the reality of the lonely monastic life that awaits Junior and his bagging ambitions.

That small bump in the distance is Juniors 105th Wainwright, Binsey. For some strange reason, my ankle was incredibly painful when wearing my boots and I ending up, to junior's amusement, wearing sandals. But, I still bagged the summit, despite being terrified of sheep shite being squashed between my toes!

A nice little day's walk in a secluded area of the Lake District, but to be perfectly honest, this area isn't probably going to be a frequent visiting place for me.

The car journey home was as I suspected, going North past Carlisle. The GPS unit actually made a good route bypassing Carlisle to the south. I only save 10 miles and about 10 minutes on our normal A66 route though.

One amusing thing that happened in Caldbeck and no pictures were taken, was having to stop the car to let a bull walk past. 

3 comments:

  1. How could i forget about that bull!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could also have mentioned about "almost" dog-napping that Spaniel who jumped into my car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I forgot to mention about your warm arse!

    ReplyDelete