Friday 18 September 2009

Upgrading my GPS contouring the easy way!

A friend emailed me with details of a GPS user who's been integrating openstreet maps and the Scottish Mountaineering Council's hill contouring software.

http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Mmmm....I remember the the first (and last time) I did this on my Garmin 60CSx and it was a bit of a slaver. I seem to recall having to modify the computer's registry and uploading the .img file into Garmin Mapsource. Having to merge 2 different images I certainly didn't have the patience to do this myself.

So, with trepidation, I read the instructions and within 5 minutes upgraded with the new contours and Streetmap! Easy.  Er, so easy it was actually just overwriting the existing one GMAPSUPP.IMG on the Microcard inside the 60CSx. As the card is 2Gb and the image was less then 200Mb, that still leaves me with huge room for waypoints, tracks etc.

Wow, what a difference, my GPS can now read roads and streets with some paths as well as the usual contours. Still not as good as an OS map, but for the cost of 5 minutes time it's certainly worth it and much better then paying £100 for Garmin's official Topo software.




No comments:

Post a Comment