Tuesday 18 August 2009

Scotland Failures

This blog is mostly as a reminder for me what NOT to do. It's been a while since I was in Scotland and a few years since camping out for more them a few days.

1. Boots - utterly crap, soles too thin and not waterproof enough. Ended up with hammered soles and blistered toes. Top priority to get suitable ones.

2. Really needed a bigger tent then my Vango 150 1 man tent. I need one with a porch to cook in and probably put a bike in. Will buy one if needed next year. The Vango is good, but with the rain pouring down there's not much space.

3. Maps - why I didn't bring extra maps is beyond me! I always carry lots of alternative maps and guide books, this time I seemed determined to the point of being blinkered on a certain number of Munros! Bad mistake, I must be more flexible.

4. Car - the Ford Focus is nice to drive and very economical. However, with the bike and all the gear, I couldn't help fancy a medium sized van. Again ground clearance caught out the Focus and I broke a plastic bracket near the front bumper when the car grounded on a bit of rough road.

5. Food - no problems. I liked the Coucous mixed with Thia curry and Tuna that Mountainmanjunior recommended. Really need to take more Mint chocolate biscuits. Never eat them at home but when camping...yum yum.

Also had the worst buns ever. I bought them in Cannich and they were like the bread Gulag prisoners would have rioted against!

6. Clothes - No faults. Jacket hood is still too big but can't do anything about that.

7.  Sleeping bag - not warm enough, will need to upgrade my basic sleeping bag someday. However, it works well with my fleece liner.

8. Comment from Mountainmanjunior.."Some nice pics, I will be interested to hear about the campsites etc. Could be a place to start my munro bagging"

Cannich: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3081

Cannich is an excellent site and one of the best locations for mountains in Scotland. Open all year round!  Fancy snow camping?

Morvich: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3774

Morvich is expensive, but a good location  (but not the best) for mountains in Glen Sheil. I didn't like the fact I couldn't park my car next to my tent. Seperate camping/parking I'm afraid.

Roybridge: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2741

Nice big open site, ideally suited for a large number of Munros! Only downside is it's difficult to find and there's a long narrow road to get to it.

I can't think of anything else, if I do i'll update in a new blog.



1 comment:

  1. This is a useful list !Now that you need a tent, sleeping bag and boots we need to hit the sales :D
    Glad you liked the couscous, its great stuff!

    ReplyDelete